Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Work-life balance and Medicine

I think my life is good,in terms of work satisfaction. The new work hour rules for residents may threaten that. I have been thinking about how I am going to manage 12hour shifts with the demands of my children's needs. Will my spouse be able to deal with their needs? They are after all his children,too.
I mentored two students who wanted to go into medicine and both of them were burning with questions regarding how I balance the demands of family with my work. I was somewhat surprised by their concerns as before my children, the thought of not being at work did not cross my mind. I loved what I did, and still do. Why is that the current generation is so obsessed with lifestyle? You first need to figure your life and the lifestyle will follow. Your work should make you jump out of bed ready to face the new day ahead with anticipation.
Let's see if I can cope with work inspite of these changes and maybe, come out stronger.

No comments: